RIVER OF MNEMOSYNE, 2012
Welcome to the third annual "River of Mnemosyne" Challenge at The Tenth Daughter of Memory. As with last year, we're going to explain the rules today and tomorrow the challenge begins! There are a few changes this time around, so read carefully if you participated last year (actually, read carefully anyway).
1. For the challenge, you are creating a single overall work (in any format) that will encompass all of the posted Muses this month. Unlike normal Muses, each participant may only submit one (1) entry for the challenge. Basically, your first post is "Muse 1," your second post is "Muse 2," etc. There will be nine (9) designated Muses for a total of nine (9) chapters.
2. The goal is to tell a complete story (be it visual or written) through all nine Muses, but you can end your story at any time; after any Muse. To designate your ending, just write a big "The End" at the end of your final entry.
3. The first Muse has been selected by PattiKen (who won the recruitment challenge) and your first entry will be based on that. The subsequent Muses will be chosen based on the fastest submissions. The first person to link an entry picks the first Muse. The second person to link an entry (any entry) picks the second Muse, and so on. In all likelihood, this means that the people who link in positions 1 through 9 on the link widget will pick the nine (9) Muses.
- To submit a Muse, simply email the admins (their contact information is on the left sidebar) with the Muse.
- New Muses will post at 12:01 AM, GMT, the day after an admin receives the submitted Muse (no more than one Muse will post in a day). If using multiple-part entries for an individual Muse, only the final part will only count in determining who picks the following Muse. In this case, please post a comment letting us know that the final part has been posted and linked.
- Johnny Fresh (Muse 1)
- Linda Linda (Muse 1)
- Johnny Fresh (Muse 2)
- Johnny Fresh (Muse 3)
- Linda Linda (Muse 2)
- Robert Radical (Muse 1)
- and so on...
6. Other than that, do as much or as little as you'd like. You can dictate your own pace; approach this at warp speed or just mosey along. It doesn't matter how far along you are compared to how far along the other challengers are. Your entries for the first Muse can be linked starting tomorrow.
7. Voting begins on the 22nd and you'll be voting for the participant's overall body of work. Our usual rule of "don't vote, can't win" still applies. Anyone who posts a "Muse 1" AND a "Muse 2" is allowed to vote, regardless if they continue on in the challenge.
8. In addition to normal voting, completing Muses 1 through 9 will add bonus points to your final vote tally (the value of the bonus points is based on the number of participants).
9. The winner will be announced on the 27th and will receive the "River of Mnemosyne, 2012" trophy to post on their blog.
Feel free to barrage the admins and comment sections with questions and suggestions. No, really... if you aren't sure of something, ask an admin immediately.
Get your river flowing! And have fun!